Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rocket Science


New movie this weekend. We chose to see a smaller indy film rather than the much anticipated "Super Bad" (That's probably this weekend). We went with "Rocket Science". I wouldn't be surprised if this movie is already pulled from the theatres by the time you read this. My friend really didn't like it, and for about a 1/3 of the movie I didn't like it either. But then somehow, I got pulled into the movie. I finally committed to liking the movie mostly based on the writing of the dialog. There were some really good one liners and funny bits in there... the problem was that they were/are VERY dry humor. The movie is also a test of patience... The main character has a severe stutter that seems to come and go at the worst times. I felt the pain of the character with this problem, but then I started wondering... how many frames of this film was spent watching him struggle to say a single line. As I said, it took a lot of patience.
I can't recommend this movie to anyone really, but if you have nothing better to do, and you see it on the shelf, give it a rent, and see if you like it. Some gems of wisdom might make it worth it - or not :)

PS> I'm not sure who the target audience of this film is... it seems to be a teen high-school comedy but also seems more indy like for a smarter crowd. Either way, there are some semi-mature subject matters - but if you've lived through your teens nothing you haven't heard of before... well, except for maybe the disturbing kid across the street with the binoculars.


No comments: