Friday, July 11, 2008

Movie: The Spiderwick Chronicles


Another summer evening with nothing on TV but mind numbing gameshows and repeats. Really? A Game show for dogs? ugh.

So I popped in a movie from Netflix.
The Spiderwick Chronicles (imdb) >
I basically liked this movie, but it was a bit of a struggle. If it were not for the fact that I liked the idea behind the storyline so much, I'd probably advise you all to pass on this movie.
First, let me say - The Cast of this movie was the oddest mixture of actors I've seen in a long time.
Nick Nolte plays an Ogre?! Ok, I can go with that. (must resist urge to make a joke about his CA mug shot).
Seth Rogen as a character voice?
But then to see Andrew McCarthy as the Father? Wow, where has he been for the past 20 years? (according to imdb, he has been busy, I just don't recall seeing him since the 80's).
And lastly, Freddie Highmore - who I really liked in "finding neverland" but he played the role of twins (which I didn't even realize was the same kid until about 20 minutes into the movie!)
The actress who played the older sister (Sarah Bolger) was so-so... I just couldn't stand her character is all. I think the first half of the movie was just listening to the brothers and sisters and the mother all yelling at one another and fighting! All the bickering and yelling was gettin on my nerves.
I enjoyed all the monsters and effects, but on several occasions, I feel like they were cutting some corners with the effects. They just looked too fake.
Lastly... The movie at some points was pretty intense (Like the mole monster chasing them through the tunnel) I wouldn't recommend this movie for younger kids.

I ended up rating this a 3 out of 5 stars on my netflix. I liked certain parts, but others I found annoying. I'm going to make a mental note now, to maybe attempt to read the book(s) for this series.

Oh for what it's worth... I WISH they showed more of the book illustrations. They were fantastic! I felt like I've seen that artist's work before. Really nice watercolor illustrations.

No comments: