Wednesday, August 20, 2008

e voting machines

So the electronic voting machine stories are starting to roll in already. Here's a short one on slashdot about the difficulty some states are having at just ditching these $3500 to $5000 machines! The last line floors me though, that election workers were (I guess some still are) allowed to take the machines home the night before an election. What?!
I guess I should start getting my signs made to welcome McCain into the white house. ugh.

Oh, and I should mention... since in the past, Diebold caught so much flack for their machine, what's a company to do? Change their name of course. Say hello to "Premier Election Solutions" (wiki).

Here are just two mind boggling quotes from the wiki I linked to above. Why is no one upset over this!? This should be a public outcry!?
Quote 1:
Together, ES&S and Premier Election Solutions are (as of 2004) responsible for tallying approximately 80% of the votes cast in the United States


Quote 2:
Jeff Dean, Senior Vice-President and Senior Programmer at Global Election Systems (GES), the company purchased by Diebold in 2002 which became Diebold Election Systems, was convicted of 23 counts of felony theft for planting back doors in software he created for ATMs using, according to court documents, a "high degree of sophistication" to evade detection over a period of two years

No comments: