Friday, April 14, 2006

TGIF

It's FRIDAY! Well as I write this, Friday is almost over, but you know what I mean.
It's been a hectic week. I'm glad it's over. And next week I'll have a short week as I'm taking a mini-vacation starting Thursday. I'm headed cross country to see family, and to participate (well as an observer I guess) in the First ever Maker Faire. Held in San Mateo, CA on Sat and Sunday (I'll just be attending Saturday). I can't wait for this. It's going to be a total geek fest so I should fit right in. I know the San Francisco area has had about 40 days and 40 nights of rain, so I hope this weekend will see some sunshine. (I think some of the events will be inside). If you want to read more about this Make Faire, check out this link:

http://makezine.com/faire/

After a crazy Thursday at work, I had my art class. When I was leaving the office I joked with my co-worker that my painting will be harsh black streaks and scribbles and possibly a curse word or two thrown in for good measure. But I got to class early, ate an apple for dinner, and had time to just sit and chill in the art room (very peaceful). When class started, the teacher brought in some new items for a still life, so I decided I was going to go slow on this painting, concentrate on not using too much water, and take my time. About 2 hours later (it felt like 14 minutes) class was over, and I had not thought about anything except painting carrots, green peppers, potatoes, a glass of water and a few bottles. I had planned on finishing the painting at next weeks class, then it hit me, I won't be there, because I'll be about 30,000 feet in the air headed to CA. Doh. So I may try to finish the painting from memory - or I may just leave it unfinished since I like it. Not sure yet.

ok, and on a political ending here, I stumbled upon this 4 min video clip on cnet.com about how New Hampshire is standing up to the Fed Gov. (good for them!). I had not heard of this before, so this was news to me... The Fed Gov is creating "incentives" (translation = giving out money to states who comply) to create a federal standard for drivers licenses. Your personal biometric data will be stored on there along with your past driving history, points, accidents, etc... And it will all be machine readable so that any authority figure (or business you choose to do business with (banks, etc)) will be able to swipe your Federal ID, and then store all of your info in their systems. This just stinks. I know I will fight it as long as possible too, but I'm sure I'll cave in - the same way I caved in to getting a photo ID so I could get on a plane. Anyway, check out the clip, and take notice as to what's at stake here. Man, do I have to read the book 1984!

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6061594.html?part=rss&tag=6061594&subj=news

Have a great weekend!

No comments: