Saturday, February 24, 2007

I'm back


Well, Things seem to be settling down to a dull roar now. I've had a few bits of good news now that have balanced things out.
One thing that really seemed to help was my recent watercolor class. I'm still struggling with it but I've learned that if I'm struggling, that means I'm learning. I've had a few small paintings turn out that I'm happy with (and a few I'm not). But it was so nice to go to class for about 2+ hours and become totally lost, and clearing my head. It was also my first experience with a live nude model. It was interesting. I was a bit surprised afterwards how impersonal it is, and it seems weird. I'm sure this is intentional on both the artists and the model's part, I suppose it's easier to sit naked in front or people when you know you'll probably never see them again, or worry about bumping into them at the grocery store. Then again, if you're willing to sit naked in front of someone chances are you're not worried at all about what they think. It was also a good experience because the model was a very pretty female, so that helped :) I learned I need to concentrate on my proportions more. While in class, I was painting her sitting in a chair, then when I got home and looked at my painting again, I was shocked at how badly I rendered her proportions of her head to her arms and torso. It was more of a shock that I didn't realize it as I was doing it, and I don't know why. So, I'll have to watch that. I also am struggling with "seeing" a background behind my images. And of course, I'm still in a constant struggle to make my paintings darker (but I'm getting better).
Well, another sign that the world is coming back into harmony... My sister and Bro-in-law just switch from Micro$oft to Apple! I've yet to talk to her to find out their reason, but I'm glad they chose apple. I hope it will be a good experience for them.

1 comment:

JWD said...

Hey, thanks! It's been a great experience with the new computers--and getting better every day as we learn our way around them.

We were in desperate need of new computers as both of ours had gummed up so much over time they were terribly inefficient.

I'm sure that the amazingly effective advertising blitz by Apple certainly had an influence on our decision. But overall we eventually became convinced that Apple computers are simply better, more reliable, safer machines. Not to mention beautiful!

We're delighted to join the 5% and growing.