Saturday, February 10, 2007

Quantum computing?


wow, this one totally slipped by my geek radar...
The website "Engadget" has an article about a company called D-Wave, that has made a claim that on this coming Tues they will debut the world's first Quantum Computer. This is big news to me because I thought that Quantum computers were something that would be developed in the next 30-100 years! To be honest, I don't fully understand the technology behind it other than to say [in theory] these computers would be SO FAST as to be able to calculate the number of atoms in the universe. If any of you are interested you can try to make your way through this wikipedia article about Quantum Computing. I did a quick glance and was also lost quickly. (the terminology is funny though; qubits, hilberts, decohere, superposition, time evolution, quantum logic gates, eigenvalues, etc...)
So all this to say, the world of computing may make history this Tuesday! I remain skeptical. But if its true, it could change the world as we know it.

No comments: