Sunday, May 18, 2008

Son of Rambow = stunk

Well, I guess every small independent film that comes out can't all be a great movie. Sadly.

I just got back from seeing "Son of Rambow" and I gotta say, it was borderline painful. As my friend pointed out, "I don't know who that movie was made for". Was it a kids movie? Whatever it was, it wasn't for me. At the beginning there were some scenes that I liked and thought were funny, that I got a chuckle from, but as the movie wore on, it was just to the point where I wanted to leave.
I will say this about it...
Both of the kids who played the lead roles were pretty good actors (Tallulah Evans played "Lee Carter", and Bill Milner played "Will Proudfoot").
The other good thing I can say about it... The music was right up my alley, it was set in the mid 80's and in England so there were groups that I recognized almost all. (The Cure, Siouxsie and Banshees, Depeche Mode (the old DM!)) And it was a scary flashback too that people really dressed like that?! wow.) Warning, I linked the above to some youtube videos... be prepared for a culture shock.
Oh, and for what it's worth - apparently my friend and I are in the minority here with this movie. It's getting good reviews and some people are loving it. Go figure.

No comments: