Wednesday, February 01, 2006

HGG - text adventure


A little while back, I mentioned something called a text adveture. These were books originally, but then in the 80's they were turned into computer games. I remember trying one on my Commodore 64 called the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" - yes, it was based on the book by Douglas Adams. Well, while surfing the web, I stumbled upon a website that has a bunch of these that have been converted to a java applet that can be played in your web browser.
Just a blast from the past.

Here's a list for all of them:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

or to just go to the HitchHikers one:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/hgg.html

It looks like a group of people have ported the original Infocom games to both windows and Mac format. At this website.

PS> I would be careful about trying to actually save these games to your hardrive. I don't know who runs the website, and wouldn't recommend it.

PS> I never played it but the ZORK had a huge following of nerds and geeks.

1 comment:

Lady Arden said...

The best was one called "Rogue" Ah, I remember the days. I actually kept an old desktop in my bedroom just to play that game years after graphics were available. Very creative, and required more imagination from the player than just sitting and hacking at eye-candy like gamers today.