Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Kiva.org

Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope you all found a bit of peace today and enjoyed a bit of the holiday spirit today.

I was just surfing the web and somehow stumbled upon a website that I had discovered some months ago. That is: www.kiva.org. I had bookmarked it with the intent of joining and contributing to but somehow lost track of the link and completely forgot about it - until today.
I find it fitting that I re-discovered it today (Christmas) and am glad to help. Of course that little nagging voice in the back of my head tells me "this could be a scam", "people are probably misusing your intended "loan", etc... But I'm ignoring that voice for now and going ahead with it.
I just "loaned" a small amount to a woman in Uganda so she could build a section or new pig sty.
In a nutshell, the website allows people like me to lend a certain amount of money to entrepreneurs who are in need of money in order to make a better life for themselves and or for their family. It doesn't take a large donation (about $25) and it is technically a loan and not a gift. At some point down the road, the person(s) you lent the money to repays the loan, at which point you can either "cash out" or re-loan the money to someone else.
Pretty cool idea.
Check it out if you like.

No comments: