Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Spy vs Spy...

I wasn't sure if I was going to blog about this topic or not, so as not to get on any sort of "list" but I supposed I may already be on one of those lists anyway so what the hey...
Domestic spying. Gee, I thought that it was illegal for a gov agency to spy on it's own citizens without 2 things... a good reason, and a judge saying it was "ok" to do so with certain limitations.
Well, not anymore since King bush is in charge now.
I also thought it was illegal for a president to declare war on another country or invade it (for whatever reason). But again, King bush changed that too (why Congress went along with that one I'll never know.)
I read this post yesterday on boing boing, and I very much agree. I will post a link to the original article referred to by Perry Metzger, but I should warn that this link goes to a website called "cryptome.org" and even they admit to activities of "security issues" (I interpret this to mean they may be posting items skating on the edge of "legal").
I happened to catch a bit last night on cspan where three senators were giving a press conference expressing thier dissapointment with this latest discovery. Here's the link to the video using RealPlayer (it's about 40 min long - you may need to paste this link into realplayer and not use your browser.)
They also had a link to yahoo talking about a possible Senate hearing. Good!
I'll sign off with this quote from Ben Franklin that I keep thinking of during all this...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

It's funny though, when I went to the wiki quote page to look this up, it says that there is some debate as to wether Ben actually said this. Apparently he denied saying it, but that evidence still supports it that he did say it... He's probably like me, and didn't want to end up on some "list" :)
Cyen

No comments: