Thursday, January 19, 2006

Money and politics


I was going to post these two items separately, but then I thought... Money and Politics - they go hand in hand.
Money>
I found this post the other day on NPR (national public radio). I've heard Dave Barry's name mentioned several times in the past, and I know he has a book or two out there, but I am unfamiliar with his work. After reading this excerpt by him regarding money, I will have to keep an eye out for this book. I learned a bit about this whole "dollar bill" thing a while ago, and after hearing the logic behind our monetary system, I admit I'm still a bit shell shocked. His one line about those of us who have a stash of Beef Jerky and Guns are the only one's who are truly wealthy rings a bell, as I still have a stash of fresh water under my sink, and a bag of Beef Jerky (though I'll probably eat that soon - and I don't own any guns - unless toy guns count).
It's a bit long to read on a webpage, but check it out... Both funny and scary.

I'd love to go into the conspiracy theories regarding the "eye in the pyramid" on the back of the dollar, but that's another post in itself.

Politics>
I came upon this link via my good old standard boingboing. Maybe I'm dating myself here, but this bit about a "text adventure" was pretty funny. I remember getting some books that were "text adventures" then on my glorious commodore 64 I had a text adventure of the "hitch hikers guide to the galaxy." Anyway, check out this link if you are familiar with text adventures... http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/001561.html
(note: one curse word - not appropriate for children).
Oh... The topic... It starts off with:

Iraqi Invasion: A Text Misadventure
Revision 88 / Serial number 54892

Oval Office
You are standing inside a White House, having just been elected to the presidency of the United States. You knew Scalia would pull through for you.

There is a large desk here, along with a few chairs and couches. The presidential seal is in the middle of the room and there is a full-length mirror upon the wall.

What do you want to do now?

1 comment:

JWD said...

Oh yeah! I remember those Choose Your Own Adventure books. They were awesome!