Monday, January 09, 2006

Second generation TV...

Just a strange thought that popped into my head this morning...
As I mentioned before, I've been on this merry go round of a planet for almost 4 decades now... I was thinking this morning about how much TV I watch and that it's TOO much. I thought about how much TV my dad watches and it also is too much... Then I wondered if that was a "learned" behavior, or how much of a choice I have in this. I thought back to when I was a kid and would spend time watching Speed Racer cartoons, and Gilligan's Island reruns, and how much I enjoyed it. So TV was something I grew up with. It was part of my childhood... Part of my learning... Etc...
Then it struck me, I'm really only the second generation of TV watchers. My parents were the first generation. Our kids are only the third generation... I think we have a lot to learn yet about TV. How is it useful, how is it hurtful, what other ways will TV change in the future, etc...
I was talking to my friend over lunch about this and he said "we're the first generation of computer users" - wow! Look at how much computers have changed (improved) in our generation. This led us both to suggest that there will be a melding of TV and computers in the future (It's just starting to happen now! With Apple selling TV shows to be viewed in itunes or on your ipod).
It was just something that struck me that TV is such a "young" technological breakthrough. I wonder how long it will last in it's current form.
Something to think about... While watching TV of course...

No comments: