Monday, March 10, 2008

The Art of Manliness


This was an interesting post that I found today on the intertubes (I forget if it was reddit or digg).
Titled: The Virtuous Life: Silence. Source: artofmanliness.com
It kinda ties in with a few posts back where I felt like I have been having a difficult time communicating my ideas to people. Several of those examples were on internet comments. I've since had time to think about this more, and I've been looking at some of the other comments of the two people I had these issues with and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's not me, it's them. (whew). It has been interesting to me though to think about ways that I communicate with people and how I present myself and my thoughts - I'm still not done thinking about it too, so you might hear more on this subject later.
But today I read this post, and it falls in line with some of the things I've been thinking of - especially the section on the "internet". These are my thoughts, and I TRY to stick to them.
I look forward to the next installment.
And, it looks like an interesting blog/website too. I hope this doesn't sound sexist but I kinda like the idea of a blog targeted towards men. I respect you ladies out there and admire the feminist attitude, but at the same time I kinda feel like us men have gotten a bum wrap over the past several years (admittedly - SOME of the men deserve that bum wrap).
I also hope that I don't discover later that in fact the website I'm linking to above is sexist. I've only read two articles on there - the one I'm linking to above, and one about hats. I wear a hat all the time too, and would welcome it back into "style" - though I doubt my "Tractor Supply Hat" will ever be in style ;) - I did learn about a hat style called a "pork pie" hat - that looks cool. And I have to say, there is a little part of me, that wishes the Derby would make a comeback. Read more here: Bringing back the hat.
One more thing I want to throw out there...
in relation to this whole "communicating" thing...
A week or two ago, I was standing around a bunch of people eating pizza. One of the guys was making a big deal about how he likes anchovies and how he's the only one. I didn't speak up and say - I love anchovies! I used to have a nickname at a deli of "anchovy man" because I'd eat a tin every day for lunch! But, not participating in the small talk is another issue... what I want to say is that one of the guys piped up with a bit of trivia... "Did you know there is no such thing as an anchovies?" (confused looks all around)... he went on to say that all anchovies are just "small fish" - so a small herring is also an anchovy. Now, right away, I thought "What?! I've seen anchovies at the Monterey aquarium!" But, the guy said it with such authority, that I didn't speak up and say "bull-dinkies!" Instead, when I got home, I wikipedia'ed it, and sure enough, I was right.
So, my general question is... at what point does a person speak up about what they believe is right (I'm not talking about moral issues), when in a social situation. Trust me, if it were a friend or someone I've known for a while, I would have spoken up, but perhaps that is a sign of low confidence that I didn't speak up in front of a group of strangers.
I think I tend to fall back on the words of Mark Twain - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." (which oddly enough, is a quote I read today on the same post I linked to above).

No comments: