Sunday, March 16, 2008

In Bruges


Movie review: In Bruges (imdb)
ok, it's late and I'm tired so I'll try to keep this short... Not to mention that I don't want to give too much of the movie away plot wise.
If you get the chance to see this movie, I would recommend it. It's not for everyone I suppose... first off, it's actually very violent and graphic. That could have been toned down for my liking, but I still enjoyed the movie overall. I think this falls squarely in the category of a "dark comedy". Basically it was about these two guys who are hitmen. During one of their jobs, the hit goes wrong, so the boss man tells them to leave the country (London) and go lay low in a small town called Bruges in Belgium. (Yes, it's a real place).
I really liked the movie because it hit on a lot of different topics, and many times did so with a sense of humor. The language was pretty rough... worse than "deadwood" I'd say, but I told my friend... there is something about the English accent and Collin Farrell's Irish Accent, that can turn the crass rude curse words into an almost poetry :)
Again, if you think you can get past the language, and the graphic violence, I'd recommend this movie. I have a feeling it's only playing in the "Artsy" theaters so chances are you'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD, but still check it out. The acting was really well done - I think it's official, I'm a fan of Collin Farrell's work. I know his personal life has some controversy around him, but he's still a good actor.
Oh... and one more thing... Bruges does look like a fairy tale place to visit. The cinematography was very well done.

No comments: