Tuesday, March 04, 2008

More misunderstanding

So in the past few days of my post about being misunderstood (scroll down a little, you'll see it), I've been able to take a small step back and look at things. I've had a few friends and family say "it's not you, it's them".
But just yesterday I had another run in with being misunderstood. I won't go into details here, but it was another blog that I frequent often and admire, and I tried to chime in with my comments. Unfortunately my comments were a bit harsh this time. I've since apologized. But even still my comments were misunderstood by several people - even after I tried to go back and clarify them on a point by point basis. So... guess what world... you lose. I'm gonna refrain from making comments now on controversial topics. (Obviously I don't mean this blog, I mean making comments on their websites.)

So now the test will be... can I keep my mouth shut when I read some of these topics that get me interested in debating online. I have a feeling it will be difficult, but I'll try.

Ok, this sort of falls in the "misunderstanding" category, but I have to share this too... I play online chess almost every weekday for my lunch break. You find ALL sorts of personalities on these online chess forums. In my experience I'd say that the majority of them are nasty/rude/ignorant (which surprises me to this day - I thought chess would attract a different sort of people). Yesterday I played a guy named "gingiskhan"... I commented "So, how many people tell you that you spelled Genghis wrong? :)"
His response was only three words, and the only one I can repeat here in mixed company was the word "mother". I just had to laugh... I responded "Lol... I guess that means a lot".
Needless to say, I resigned my chess game and moved on to play someone else.

In other news...
I finished a book this morning!!
Man that feels good. I struggle to finish books. I have a short attention span, and find myself becoming bored with the same story night after night. I then pick up another book that captures my interest, and then TRY to get back at a later time to finish the original book. But I'm making a stronger effort now, and it's been paying off. The book you ask? It was one I started (wow, I don't even remember!? It might have been 7-12 months ago?!) It is called "blue highways - a journey into America" by William Least Heat-Moon (yes, he is Native American).
It was a good story, and fun to travel along with William in his journey around America in an old van. He met a lot of interesting people, and told the story well. My only complaint was that about 3/4 of the way through the book, the story (much like the journey) became tedious. That's when I put the book down and moved on to something else. But after a nice long break, I came back to finish the book and enjoyed it overall. I'm actually considering getting two of his other books now, but I've already got about 4-5 books waiting for me to read now, so we'll see.
If you are looking for a neat story about traveling across America, I recommend you check out William's book.

No comments: