Monday, March 13, 2006

Harry Potter


Well, I'm a bit foggy headed now as I was up until 2am finishing the Harry Potter book. I have to say I was not too thrilled with the ending (not giving anything away). I enjoyed the book overall though, but felt there were a lot of loose ends left over. Still, I'll be looking forward to the next book!

I saw a pretty good political DVD last night too. That's one of the good things about Netflix, is that they have a large choice of movies, and I seriously doubt some of these political movies would be at my local blockbuster. The movie was called "The First Amendment Project". It was actually three short documentaries strung together with the first amendment as the tie. The first one delt with FOX trying to sue Al Franken over his book "Lies and the lying liars who tell them..." It was kinda funny, but it had the air of a long commercial for the book though.
The second short was done by Mario Van Peebles and it was about a controversial topic of the NJ Poet Laureate Amiri Baraka, made some harsh comments about the 9/11 disaster. I don't know if I agree with Mr. Baraka's comments, but the point of the movie was that he had the right to say them. I thought this short was well done.
The third short was the most interesting to me, that regarded the right to peacably assemble, and centered around the recent protests at the republican convention in NYC. There were times that I felt I was watching footage from the 1960's and could not believe these violations were still happening today. This one bothered me the most.
I googled the title of the movie and found this website, but I did not see anything specifically about the movie. I'm assuming the film and website are connected. If they are, I'm glad to see that there are still people pushing this topic.

No comments: