Thursday, March 16, 2006

small items

Just a small post today... This has been on my mind all week...
I skipped Church this past Sunday - shame on me! :)
I had all intentions of going, but couldn't roll out of bed, and cut it too close. So Instead, I picked up my bible and started to read Matthew. One verse really struck me as both funny and then harsh at the same time...
"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. - Matthew 15:16

He was teaching in parables, and Peter asked him to explain the parable tom him. It struck me as funny at first because it made Jesus sound like someone here and now, with a tone of joking around. But then I wondered if it was said in jest, or if it were a "slap" in a style of teaching. I've been thinking about it all week and still have not come up with an answer. Anyone who wishes to comment please do :)
On a related note:
I've been thinking a lot of when Jesus killed a tree:
Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered. - Matthew 21:18-19

This too really bothers me for some reason. I can't picture the Jesus I know as just killing a tree (or cursing it to never bear fruit again), out of anger. It bothers me is all.
Since I'm on a religion roll, I'll throw out one more...
I was wondering if there are any specific examples of Jesus Judging another person in the New Testament? Anyone? :)

ok, One more day until Friday then the weekend!!

1 comment:

JWD said...

I was just talking with my friend S about Jesus and the Fig Tree. She said that her partner believes this is one of the examples of Jesus not being perfect (or infallible). Jesus with the Syrophonecian Woman (Mark 6, I think) would be another example. I like that. Jesus was human after all.