Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

So in the past, I used to buy a small tree and plant one on Earth day. That was back when I lived at home and actually had a back yard. Well, now (and for a long time) I've not done that because I live in an apartment complex. I thought of just buying a tree anyway and just driving around looking for a random place to plant it, but in living in one of the most populated states in the nation, that doesn't always work.
So instead, I'm not sure what I'll do. (note, I feel like I do a lot through the year, so I don't have any pressure to do one thing on one day. To me it takes a bunch of little things all the time, to make a difference.)
I might go buy a book!
I just heard an interesting comment about books and the environment. I actually don't know if it's true, or just one of those internet rumors that gets started and then goes wild. But, I think to a point it makes sense. I'll paraphrase cause I can't find the original article... Are Books good for the environment or bad? I mean basically you're killing a tree to get to all it's good paper right? But this article said that if you have a lot of books on a bookshelf, it acts as a great insulator! So in the long run, it keeps your house or apartment cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, thus saving energy and thus being good.
I know, it's a stretch, but any excuse I can use to buy a book I'm all for.
Well, maybe as the day goes on, I'll think of something a little more worthy, and do something nice for the earth today. Hope you will too.

No comments: