Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My Own Personal soundtrack

Ok, this was fun and interesting. I got (stole) this idea from my Sister's blog today.
Copied and pasted here:
This meme went around ages ago, but I didn't have an ipod to participate. I grabbed the format from Stories from the Red Tent. If your life were a movie, what would the soundtrack be?

So, here's how it works:
1. Open your itunes library
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie
7. I added one more feature, though. I listened to each of the songs (except the first one) that came up then included a line or two from the lyrics which seemed especially fitting.

So then, the soundtrack of my life:


Opening Credits:
Title: The Hornburg
Artist: Howard Shore
Album: Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
Lyric: Instrumental

Waking Up:
Title: Miracle
Artist: Erasure
Album: I Say I say I say
lyric: The Miracle of Love...

First Day of School:
Title: Little Things (HA!!)
Artist: Good Charlotte
Album: Good Charlotte
Lyric: How fitting! HA! This song starts with a dedication... "This song is dedicated [this is good charlotte] to every kid who ever got picked last in Gym Class, to every kid who had no date for a school dance, [this is for you], To everyone who's ever been called a freak, [this is for you]"


Falling in Love:
Title: Down
Artist: David Gahan
Album: Hourlgass
Lyric: Opening line... "I need some company"
Chorus: "Down on the Ground, there's no one around"
Ok, this little blog meme is starting to freak me out now.

Breaking Up
Title: Joan
Artist: Erasure
Album: Chorus
Lyric: It's just not within the scheme of things, to give up your life so easily,

Prom:
Title: Aprés Moi
Artist: Regina Spektor
Album: Begin to Hope
Lyric: I must go on standing.
(ok, this one doesn't really fit)

Life:
Title: Break Stuff
Artist: Limp Bizkit
Album: Significant Other
Lyric: It's just one of those days when you don't want to wake up, everything is F*d, everybody sucks
Oh so fitting! (well, on my bad days anyway).
Ok, I cheated on this one. The first one that popped up in my shuffle was "dreidle" from the SouthPark Cartoon. But since it's not really a true song, I'm not counting it. But it's interesting to see how the remaining songs fall...

Mental Breakdown:
Title: Cold
Artist: Tears for Fears
Album: Elemental
Lyric: Cold... bring to me my big ol' sweater, nothing more will make me better.

Driving:
Title: Concerto for Flute, Harp, and Orchestra in C Major K 299
Artist: Pierre Narrato
Album: Classics for relaxation
Lyric: instrumental
I can visualize the scene of driving along in my jeep with the top down on a sunny day in the country ;)

Flashback:
Title: Eye in the Sky
Artist: Jonatha Brooke
Album: Back in the Circus
Lyric: I am the eye in the sky, looking at you, I can read your mind...

Getting Back Together:
Title: Contre Le Temps/Back Door Man
Artist: Hesperus
Album: Unicorn
Lyric: Every married woman, I believe she's got some back door man. (blues song).

Wedding:
Title: Mess of Doubt
Artist: The Giraffes
Album: The days are filled with years
Lyric: Right now, nothing glued down, my life is just a mess of doubt
(note: I'm not married, so not sure if this one applies)

Birth of Child:
Title: Why should the Fire Die?
Artist: Nickle Creek
Album: Why should the Fire Die?
Lyric: I'm not scared of being alone...

Final Battle
Title: Nothing
Artist: Depeche Mode
Album: 101
Lyric: Sitting, waiting, anticipating, nothing.... Life is full of surprises, it advertises nothing. What am I trying to do, what am I trying to say, I'm not trying to tell you anything you didn't know when you woke up today.
(with all my dm songs it's about time one of them popped up)

Death Scene:
Title: New Favorite
Artist: Alison Krauss & Union Station
Album: New Favorite
Lyric: I saw the light go out...
I skipped another one that doesn't match up... a techno song called Home Zone by Digitalism.

Funeral Song:
Title: Come Play
Artist: Tweaker
Album: The attraction to all things uncertain
Lyric: Techno Instrumental - again doesn't fit in here.

End Credits:
Title: A Question of Lust
Artist: Depeche Mode
Album: 101
Lyric: A Question of Lust, a question of trust, a question of not letting what we've built up crumble to dust, it is all of these things and more, that keep us together.

Ok, this experiment was fun at the beginning, but the last several didn't seem to fit in. Oh well, it was interesting - thanks Sis!

Funny to note, that my song library has 2090 songs in it. I'm amazed at the repeated bands of DM, and Erasure. I have such an eclectic library too, which this list does not reflect. Perhaps, it's not as eclectic as I thought it was? Interesting too, how you can listen to the lyrics intent on finding a thread of meaning in relation to these topics. Some were a stretch I'm sure.
I almost want to go back through my library, and then intentionally pick some of these songs and see what kind of story that would tell. Maybe another day...

1 comment:

JWD said...

Hey, cool that you played, too! It is an interesting experiment in meaning-making. :)

I think listing the lyrics makes it a much more interesting meme to read--otherwise it relies on titles only and most of the songs I wouldn't know.

I was also surprised at the number of repeats on mine (Enya!). It would be fun to play it again and see what happened.

It would also be fun to just come up with our own list of questions and categories and use the ipod shuffle mode as a sort of musical Magic Eight Ball.

Several of yours were awesome--especially the first day of school one.

Thanks for playing!

PS Mom and I just got back from Krispy Kreme. Life is good.