Friday, April 11, 2008

No video Flickr


So as a big fan of flickr, I'm torn with all the hoopla about their new "feature" that they introduced a couple days ago... Video. Some people are apparently loving it, and some are not. I think I fall in the "not" category, but I'm willing to give it a chance. I read this article on wired, and I tend to agree with one of the comments... Video on Flickr is like "jumping the shark".
I just don't quite get the thinking here. Flickr has a huge LOYAL fan base and their entire service is based on photography. Now, out of the blue, they introduce this video option (with a limit of 90 seconds). Why? I mean Youtube (and a bunch of other online video sharing services (vimeo, bliptv, etc...) have this pretty much covered.
Well, I hope this isn't the spiral downside to flickr that yahoo will taint. (Flickr was a stand alone service, then along came yahoo and bought them out. Now yahoo is in financial troubles - depending on who you talk to - and we get something like this?)
I guess it's time I start looking to google's Piccasa...

photo credit: seldon72 used under CC

No comments: