Monday, April 14, 2008

Harry Potter in Court today

This is an interesting story via reuters news.
J.K. Rowling (the author of the Harry Potter books) is suing a "fan" in order to block him from releasing an unofficial Harry Potter encyclopedia.
I put "fan" in quotes to suggest that although he very well can be considered a huge fan, it also occurs to me that he could be abusing that term to make money. I don't believe that is the case based on what I know so far.

It's an interesting debate here, and I'm not sure how I feel about it as I can see merit to both of their arguments. That being said, I think that I'm leaning towards supporting Steve Vander Ark's position. As long as it says "unofficial" on it, I think he's safe, there are many unofficial guides for video games, and I think it's the same thing.
JK, if you think you can write a better encyclopedia (and I think you can) by all means... go ahead and do it.

Another battle over copyright and intellectual property. Let's see which side the courts come down on... Money/Corporate vs Artistic freedom?

PS> Thank goodness for Apple's auto spelling feature. I made so many typo's in this post it's not funny. Some mistakes and some because I can't spell very well. Thanks Apple (and firefox).

No comments: