Friday, April 04, 2008

youtube - being corporatized

So, maybe it's been a slow process where I had not noticed before, but this morning it hit me like a ton of bricks...
Youtube is being (has been) corporatized!
So, it was only a few days ago, that I noticed youtubes new policy of putting advertisements into the videos. They "pop up" about a quarter to a third of the way into the video. I know... this is a capitalist society and all that, but it saddens me to see websites that started off as a "grass roots" project for users to share video content turn into just another large advertisement for big business.
Today's youtube page was nothing but Rolling Stone's videos, to promote (that's code speak for "advertise") their new upcoming film.
I stopped over at the youtube advertising page, and sure enough, they have a whole section dedicated to putting more ad's on their sites, and embedding them into the videos.
It's just a matter of time, until the people get tired of being advertised to, and they'll move to a new technology for sharing videos.
I'm also curious... I don't know yet if youtube is forcing their ads into the videos of the users without them having a say or not. I've not uploaded anything recently so I don't know if there is an option for this or not.
If youtube forces an ad onto my video, and then doesn't pay me for it - I won't be using youtube anymore.
Remember youtube/google - Don't be evil.

No comments: