Monday, June 25, 2007

random Mon thoughts...


Just a few items to throw out into the world today...
Last night I watched a really interesting interview on C-span (I still miss Cspan2!) on the show called "Q&A". It was with an author of a new book called "Crashing Through" by Robert Kurson. First off I have to say, Robert looked like a giant sitting across from Brian Lamb... He had to be at least 6' 6". Robert seemed to be a "gentle giant" type, one of those guys who speaks softly and just portrays a good guy. But, for most of the interview that I saw (I missed the beginning) Robert spent the time talking about the subject of his book; Mike May. A Man who was blinded as a young child of 3, and later in life (I forgot how old he was 40's or 50's maybe?) He had a chance encounter with a doctor who offered him a risky chance to gain his eyesight back. Very Risky apparntly. But Mike decided to go for it, and has gained "some" of his eyesight back. There are some very odd "limitations" that Mike still is challenged with, but it's mostly due to brain activity and not so much the "physics" of sight. For example, Mike can look at a person's face and it just does not register. He can't tell one face from another. The story behind this man's constant willingness to throw himself at the onslaught of "LIFE" is amazing. Funny thing is, I don't know if I'll buy the book. I found the interview incredible, (as I did the interview with the man who wrote "the flags of our fathers", but really wasn't impressed with the movie). I also feel like I got the entire gist of the story based on the interview. (which Brian mentioned during the interview). You can watch the video online!

moving on...
Pop Quiz hotshot... Name an influential person... Someone who has changed the hearts or minds of say more than 100 people. Someone who is still living too... can you think of someone? It's tough isn't it? I realized this the other day when I was reading some news articles about Michael Moore's new movie "SICKO". It hit me, that Michael has had a huge influence on people with his movies. (positive or negative). Then I wondered, 'shouldn't you be able to name a politician first, before naming an artist, when it comes to influencing positive changes in people's lives?' I know... in a perfect world maybe. I think perhaps the best way for a single person to have a say and influence on other people is for them to become a film-maker.

What sparked this as a blog post as opposed to just a passing thought to ponder on, was I just read this article about a documentary filmmaker who is garnering a lot of support over her film to help ban the use of plastic shopping bags. I have only recently bought my two heavy duty canvas bags, and I'm glad I did. I encourage you to as well. It means a little change at first, and your gauranteed to forget your bags at least once, but they really work out nicely.

Oh, one more small item to throw out there today...
If I asked you what sort of governmental policy is the USA, what would you answer?
Think about it a second....
Did you say "Democracy"? I would have too...
I saw on a youtube video recently that we are NOT supposed to be a Democracy according to our founding fathers. We are supposed to be a "Republic"! I'm still not sure I understand what this means, but I'll be looking into it further. The only thing I can think of is the pledge of allegiance... "I pledge the allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the REPUBLIC...."
If someone understands the difference between republic and democracy please post a comment.


No comments: