Monday, August 27, 2007

Superbad


Yep, we went to see Superbad this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard it was funny and good but also pretty vulgar. I skipped seeing "knocked up" by the same people (apatow) because of all the vulgarity. But, I think Michael Cera is pretty funny. I've been watching the online show "Clark and Michael" and although not everything in the online show is funny there is usually one bit that makes me laugh (Clark had a Cameo in Superbad).
Was Superbad Vulgar? You bet it was! There is a trivia on imdb that says the f-word was used 186 times! Was it a great movie? No not really, it was kinda like the first comeback of the R-rated comedies from the 80's. I will expect to see a resurgence now of copy-cat movies. (I think theres a reason these movies faded away and maybe thats a good thing).
I'd like to think that I'm "above" this sort of humor, but I have to fess up and say that some of it just made me cringe and then laugh. The audience was really into it too.
I'll always give Judd Apatow a break because I really enjoyed the "Freaks and Geeks" dvd's. I just hope that Judd is not just pushing more and more to see how vulgar he can get.
Check your scruples at the door for this one, set your profanity filter on low, and just watch a raunchy goofy comedy.

No comments: