Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dropping out of Electoral College...

Wow... this is huge!
This was over on a website (that I suspect is legit, but with the intertubes one never can tell for sure) about how Maryland is ditching the Electoral College (as it stands now) and opting for a "popular vote". At first glance this is awesome news. It means your vote really does count now (as long as it's not hi-jacked via diebold). BUT there are downsides here too... I don't have time to list them all, or even think too hard about it all, but basically this means the most popular guy wins. After you read the article, be sure to read the responses, they are really great.
One misconception many people have is that we (America) is a Democracy... It's not it's a Republic. "One nation, under God, and to the Republic..." (ok, I just now tried to find this on wikipedia and now my brain hurts. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer here. Looks like I have homework now.)
I was excited to read this (never was much of a fan of the Electoral College because (the way I understood it) it made it nearly impossible for a third party or independent candidate to win.

Read the article here: Inthesetimes.com

I'll end this post with a great quote I just found on wikipedia:
  • The strongest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter.
-Sir Winston Churchill

No comments: