Friday, June 09, 2006

200th post


Wow. 200 hundred posts. hard to believe. Ok, Im' over it now.

I admit... I have a problem with authority figures. Always have since I was a kid really. It pretty much started with teachers in school. I realized that I was subject to their "rules" and I found out that they could pretty much make up the rules as they went. Ever since, I question both those who make the rules, and those who enforce the rules. Not always a good thing. I have nothing personal against these people at all. But, If I feel I'm being taken advantage of, or singled out, or plain old treated unfairly, I tend to speak up. Politely too I might add.
So all that just to bring this up...
Within a month or two, I am scheduled to get a new drivers license. I'm torn inside because on one hand I KNOW I have to play by the "rules" and do everything I'm asked (without question). At the same time I dread giving over all my personal information to strangers. In the state I'm in, they have new "digital ID" that consists of a photo that is taken by a digital camera. no big deal right? They've had photo ID's for years now (though I've always opted out of the photo ID until I started flying, then I was 'forced' to get a photo ID). BUT... the new photographs are not being used by just the DMV (division of motor vehicles - which is also a private company too). With only a little digging on the internet, I found out that these photos are being stored and sent to a private corporation who is in charge of keeping the photos on hand and is part of their facial recognition services to the government (I assume both the state and federal government). So, now MY ugly mug will be in some databank of a company I know very little about, who may or may not have the best security, and hope that they treat my private information properly. Man that really bothers me. But, as I mentioned before, I can't afford not to drive, and I enjoy visiting my family on the other side of the country so much that I will submit myself and my ID to their rules. And, what will be difficult for me... to not say anything to the person(s) who will take all my information - and probably give me a hard time (like they did last time) about my papers. I'm not looking forward to this.
What inspired this post were two (rather differnt point of views) articles on the web, about ID, privacy, and security in the airports.
One from Wired Magazine (a GOOD story actually that I was surprised at how it turned out).
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71115-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

and one not so good story (even though it turned out well all in the end)
http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001065.html

And this all led me to another article by Hasbrouck about RFID chips in passports.
The whole thing just stinks.
But... what can I do. But sit still in class, pay attention to the teacher, and just play by the rules like everyone else.
Here's the article on the RFID chips if you are interested:
http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001003.html

Papers please

No comments: