Sunday, June 25, 2006

Dem's Fightin' words

I was over at Technorati looking at the "what's popular" when I saw my friend Jon Stewart's name mentioned. (I don't really know him, I just feel like I do because I watch his show on a regular basis.)
The headline is what will capture the readers attention...
"Jon Stewart, Enemy of Democracy?"
What?! Enemy?!
What kind of wording is this?
Well, the headline did it's job... It got me to read the article to find out what's going on.
Turns out... nothing. It's a very misleading headline (perhaps this is 'tongue-in-cheek' sarcasim?) I'm not familiar with the author of this article Richard Morin - So I can't tell if this is meant to be funny (it doesn't sound like it to me).
He seems to be reporting on two different items...
1) a study by "political scientists" What does that mean!? that says that people who watch the Daily Show, "MIGHT" become more cynical and "MAYBE" will not vote.
2) It then goes way off the subject and talks about how Democrats who donate to Katrina victims apparently make donations based on race... and Republicans are over-all stingy in their donations, and don't give as much as Democrats. What does this have to do with Jon Stewart?

Mr. Morin, I am torn... on one hand I hope that on Monday's show, Mr. Stewart responds to your article and puts you in your place like only Mr. Stewart can. But... the other part of me hopes that this item is just lost in the shuffle because it's just a blatant attempt for attention, with no real value, and like a little kid screaming for attention, it's best just to ignore them.

I was going to post the full article on my blog, but the "permission rights" on the Washington post.com does not allow this. So You'll have to go to the link to read it yourself...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/

What cracks me up is that the "politcal scientists" found that the views of the Daily Show "develop cynical views about politics and politicians..."
I just looked up the meaning of "cynical" -
cynical [sinik?l] adjective 1 believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity


Come on! What normal sane person is not cynical of politicians and politics?
So when Mr. Stewart points out the lies, mistakes, and often times idiocy of politics and politicians, then that makes Mr. Stewart the "enemy of democracy?"

Sorry, I've ranted about this too much now. But Mr. Morin struck a nerve with me, and I had to sound off. That's what a BLOG is for :)

Technorati Tags:


No comments: