Friday, June 16, 2006

TGIF books and movies

It's Friday! Yeah!
It's been a slow week at work. I hate it when it slows down this much. But, I just have to wait it out until things pick up again.
Anyway, I thought I'd post today about a few movies and books...

The book first...
"Bad Twin" - by Gary Troup
This book is related to the TV show LOST. I've still been paying attention to the "alternate reality" game that is going on the internet with relation to the LOST TV show. It's been fun looking for clues and puzzles - though lately I tend to rely a lot on the fan sites to keep up to date. But, I got "suckered" into buying the book, and I have to say I enjoyed it overall. There were some Hollywood coincidences, but there always are. It was more of a detective novel, and not very much "strange" stuff going on like on the TV show. In fact, it has very little to do with the TV show, which was a bit disappointing. Yes, some of the names were used, and I'm sure with the next season we'll find more of a connection, but for the most part it was just a good detective story. I tried looking for clues, but there wasn't much to go on. Just as an example... The "author" is a pen-name. Gary Troup is an anagram for "Purgatory" - and it's rumored that the real author is Stephen King - Though I found no evidence of King's writing style.
All in all a good summer read.

Movies...
I rented a good movie called "Mrs. Brown" (imdb website)
It was with Judi Dench and Billy Connolly - both great actors. It was a Drama really and a bit of a love story, but it was well done. It was a "period piece" set in 1866-1880's. It did a good job of taking me back to that time. I also enjoyed the performance by another actor named... Arghh... I forgot his character name, and there are no photos on imdb for me to pick him out. He played a very "hoity toity" role and was excellent. Good movie - you should check it out.


I just watched "Dirty Filthy Love" last night at my sister recommendation. She blogged about it and it sounded interesting. She was right it was a good movie! I was torn at parts because I didn't know when it was "appropriate" to laugh (if at all?). But weather it was right or not, I cracked up when he got in a "barking match" with the the little dog tied to the street sign.
I'll just second her opinion... It's a good movie.
One thing that struck me... One of the characters (Charlotte) was played by Shirley Henderson, who has a very distinctive voice. It was driving me crazy as to where I have heard her voice before... It's not until now when I looked her up on imdb that I found it... She was the voice for "Moaning Myrtle" in the Harry Potter movies :)
I'm willing to bet too that the actor Michael Sheen who played the lead character with the OCD and Tourette's syndrome must have been emotionally exhausted at the end of the day. He did a fine job of portraying this disease. (as did Shirley! It was a good onscreen chemistry).
Thanks sis for the recommendation!

back to books...
I'm starting another book on my many of 'books to be read' list... (hey... How come there is no IMDB for books!?) The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman (wikipedia). I'm only a few pages into it and it's already captured my attention and I am liking his style of writing and storytelling. I hope this book will hold my interest to the end.
I recently (this week) saw the author interviewed (again) on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Turns out he's re-released the book with an update. I'm not gonna run out to buy it though.

Speaking of the Daily Show, I saw a really funny interview last night with a comedian actor - Louis C. K. (hmm, how does he get away with having an abbreviated last name!?). He did a bit about his two children, one was one-year-old and the other was four. Very funny. Something about how he hates his four year old... You really had to see it, as it was "sarcastic" humor.
He's promoting his new TV show on HBO called "lucky louie"... I'll have to try and find someone to tape this for me (or rent it when it's released on dvd). Actually, now that I think of it... I heard this same guy being interviewed on NPR on my ride home from work yesterday! He was telling a funny story about his mother being a single working mom (well, that part wasn't funny)... They didn't have a lot of money it seems growing up. He would yell to his mom...
"Mom! I'm Hungry!"
"Well, go make yourself a bologna sandwich"
"But I don't LIKE balogna!"
"Then you're not that hungry" ;)

ok, this post is entirely too long.
Have a great Friday and enjoy the weekend!

tags: Books, movies, hbo, comedy, review

No comments: