Saturday, January 06, 2007

great speech on cc

It's kinda late here 12:20am so I'm gonna try to keep this short...
I just watched a really good lecture on google video about copyright. It was given by this guy named Lawrence Lessig who has quite a background. I'll admit I don't know much about him, other than he's a name that I hear a lot in my geek circles. I know he's involved with this new movement called "creative commons" or "cc" for short. He's also involved with the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation). If you want to know more about him check wikipedia here. Anyway... It's a long lecture 1 hour 15 minutes, but it's pretty interesting IF you have an interest in copyright. As a creative person myself who occasionally does art/illustration/photos etc, I have an interest in this. AND if you are a USER of art: Music/photos/text YOU should be interested in this too. Have you ever downloaded an MP3? Have you ever made a copy of a cd or tape to give to a friend or relative to listen to? Have you ever posted a photo online? Have you ever written a story and posted it to a blog or some other online community? These issues should matter to you. IF nothing else, load the video to your browser... let it load in the background while you have a cup of tea or surf the web... then skip all the way til about the 1 hour mark... to hear a question/comment posed by John Perry Barlow (I'll skip the intro... read about him here)... It's a good confrontation, and Barlow's endorsement of "massive civil disobedience" is enough to give one goosebumps, or a least a "right on" murmur.
So here's the link to the video... enjoy freely.
PS> I have no idea what 23C3 means... I'll have to look into that myself.
PS2> I love how he's drinking a beer during the lecture!

No comments: