Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Minimum wage increase blocked

I just saw this post on digg and thought it was a joke. I thought this bill was pretty much a done deal. Apparently I was wrong. The Republicans have blocked the minimum wage increase by a few votes, because they want tax breaks for the businesses. The article goes on to quote Sen. Ed Kennedy...
"Why can't we do just one thing for minimum wage workers? No strings attached, no giveaways for the powerful?"

Imagine being one of those minimum wage workers, who I'm sure, like me, thought this was a done deal, only now are finding out they may be stuck at $5.15 forever. I tried to find out who the 43 that voted against this were, but I'm not having any luck finding that info. I'll try to search again.

1 comment:

me said...

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/issuesdbq/votesearch.dbq

you can look up the votes on this site.