Sunday, May 13, 2007

Spiderman 3

Gonna make this quick because it's late and I'm tired, but I had to post this... I just got back from Spiderman 3. To say I didn't like it is putting it mild. In hindsight, this probably should have been a movie that I walked out on... and those are very few. My biggest complaint? It was SO SAPPY! So sugary corny and over the top sappy (with a sappy musical score to match). The action scenes were all done via computer graphics which allowed the edits to be split second screen captures in that it was nearly impossible to tell what was going on. The storyline? All I can say is that this must have been written by a 12 year old. So much of it was So hard to believe! I know, it's a comic book movie, but still, there should really be some attention given to little things called physics... Things like flying sand? A guy trips and stumbles into a particle accelerator? Ever hear the one about "you can't destroy or create matter"? Explain that to the giant space goo monster that gets bigger in every scene that we see. James Franco (who I loved in Freaks and Geeks!) was almost comical at the times when he flashed his big goofy smile - like he had one too many "special" brownies or something. AND to top it all off... it was 2 hours and 20 minutes! A comic book movie should not be this long.
What boggles my mind is that this movie has set all kinds of box office records. I guess that 12 year old is laughing all the way to the bank.

1 comment:

JWD said...

Thanks for the warning. At first we thought we would go see this movie, but saw it got awful reviews. And your review confirms it.

What bothers me so very much is how heavily this film is marketed to elementary-aged kids and younger! Even though it is rated PG-13. To me, it seems their marketing ought to be required to match up with its ratings. So that, just like cigarettes, movies ought not to be actively (to the point of saturation in this case) marketed to children who are under-age. It's awful.