Sunday, August 13, 2006

Driving...

I probably shouldn't post this but I'm going to anyway.
Two stories really but both related to driving... Kids... don't try these at home.
1) Last weekend I was coming home and was driving onto an on ramp. As I came around the turn and was entering onto the two lane highway, I saw something on the other side of the road driving pretty fast, and it actually took my brain a few seconds to compute what I was looking at... It was a guy on a motorcycle doing a wheelie down the middle of the highway! No cars were around him, and no other motorcycles. My first thought was of course, 'look at this idiot'... but then I thought, 'How cool was that!' He wasn't doing it to show off for his friends, he must have just felt like doing a wheelie because he could.
2) This other story just happened to me tonight. My friend and I were on our way to the movies (I'll post about that later), and on the way we were talking about driving. I was telling him how in CA people are very considerate to pedestrians crossing the road, and that even though the highway driving was bumper to bumper driving, there seemed to be a flow to it. People didn't seem to be upset, they were just dealing with it. (I wasn't driving either so maybe that had something to do with it.) So my friend and I were saying that here where we live people are more ignorant and inconsiderate. Well, as we're talking I pulled into the parking lot, and had just turned down the lane to park. As I made the turn there was a large pick-up truck driving slowly down the middle of the lane! I thought maybe he just pulled out from his spot, and was "arcing" wide, but as I approached he wasn't moving over. So something in my head just "snapped a little" as we were just talking about inconsiderate drivers, so I too, pulled out into the middle of the lane. So it was like a mini game of head-on chicken. In hindsight, I realize how stupid this was to do, but at the same time I'm glad I did it. Eventually the other pick-up eventually did move over for me (you don't want to play chicken with me) and it was an older guy (50s) and he was smiling as we drove by. Why was he smiling?! I have no clue. But I'm glad I didn't just push myself over to the side and let this guy by. I took a stand and made him realize he was in the wrong. I know... stupid, you don't have to tell me.

No comments: