Sunday, August 06, 2006

great book

I just now (well about 8 minutes ago since I just boiled some water and made a cup of new tea that I bought: Jasmine Green Tea... smells fantastic!) finished a really good book. "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" By Jonathan Safran Foer. In a nushell the story is about a 9 year old boy who lost his father in the Sempteber 11th tragedy. But this almost takes a back seat to the overall story of the book, which is the "adventure" this young boy (Oskar) leads to try and find a lock in the city of NY that his father had the key to. The book is like none I've ever read before in it's creativity of story telling. There are photographs scattered through-out the book, there are pages with red ink that circle mistakes in grammer and spelling. These things, the photos, the ink marks, are things that the characters in the book have done or are doing... by seeing them it really drew me into the story. The style of writting was very different too as it was sort of told from the 9 year old's point of view, and had a sort of "stream of conciousness" to it. It was a strange story, and I didn't always understand what was going on, but I also felt like I wasn't supposed to always understand it. The strangeness I was also prepared for because the author wrote a novel that was turned into a movie I really liked called "Everything is Illuminated". Both stories have a sadness in them. But this book was also good because it talked a lot about "life lessons". I'm glad to have bought this book while on vacation visiting my family.

Well, I'm a bit out of it now... I've caught some sort of cold. It's been a strange one that started with a sore throat on Friday night, then I felt a little better on Sat morning when I woke, and even went over to my mom's to do some laundry (and have a nice lunch where she made me chicken-noodle soup! Aren't mom's GREAT! Mine IS!) But when Sat night arrived, my sore throat moved further back and was just really annoying. I didn't sleep hardly at all, and now I've spent most of sunday sleeping and resting (and reading). I really needed a day like this, so in a sense I'm glad I am feeling under the weather. I'm only up now because I don't want to go to bed too early and then wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow.
I did miss out on a photography field trip that I had planned today so I'm bummed about that, but maybe I'll just have to go on my own one of these weekends.

And finally... sending my sis good vibes across the blog-o-sphere for Monday. I know she'll do great.

No comments: