Friday, September 01, 2006

Burning Man


Well, I've been wanting to post about this but since I know very little about it I've been having a difficult time trying to figure out what it is I want to say about it. So... I'll give it a shot to try and explain what Burning Man is based upon my limited knowledge (I may be wrong!)...
It's a gathering of gay hippies looking to do LSD... lol... that was a quote from the Sheriffs on the TV show Reno 911. They did an "undercover" sketch about burning man way back on season one, and it was pretty funny.
I don't doubt that there may be some gay hippies doing LSD at this event but I think it's much more than that. It is in the final days this weekend, ends Sept 4th. I saw one explanation that said it was a gathering of artists. Yeah that sums it up pretty well too. From what I get out of it... It's a gather of people who are creative or enjoy the performances of other creative people, perhaps some people who just enjoy a good freak show. There are lots of crazy art exhibits, buildings in the desert, crazy "automobiles", crazy costumes, etc. I think that is the whole point to this entire event... it's a few days out of the year where you can be crazy and fit right in. It's liberating. One of these days I might have to try and get out there for one of these events.
http://www.burningman.com/

I find it best to let a picture of "1000 words" do all the talking. I found a tag related link to burning man on flickr... great stuff!

1 comment:

JWD said...

I've been thinking lately that you need to get out here for a Burning Man festival. I think you would find it fascinating. I almost encouraged you to do it this year in fact!