Saturday, September 30, 2006

Reddit icon

This relates to my post the other day about seeing a new bill signed on Cspan.
Did you see the movie "V for Vendetta"? You should. It's not a great movie but it might make you think a bit. Today I signed on to check reddit.com for the latest news headlines and saw their icon:



With this a description as to why.
>>>>

Because yesterday, the U.S. Congress passed a law permitting the torture and indefinite imprisonment of:

1. Foreign nationals providing "material support" to anyone fighting "the U.S. or its co-belligerents"
2. Non-citizens in the U.S., who it accuses of the same.
3. U.S. citizens accused of same.
4. No review by non-military courts for the first 2.
5. U.S. citizens must be charged within one year.

And best of all, the military can set the criteria for who is an "unlawful military combatant", with no review by anyone.

It's not limited to people fighting the U.S. abroad, it explicitly applies to people inside the U.S. And to anyone the military determines it applies to.

Go ahead, you can get the text at www.thomas.gov, look up S 3930.

>>>>
I tried to look up the bill on the thomas.gov site but I couldn't understand the navigation or the language.I HOPE this bill is struck down by the Supreme court.
Check out some of the comments too on the reddit website:
http://reddit.com/info/kabj/comments

Ok, I don't like using comparison words here, but I just looked up the term "Dictator" on Wikipedia... I'm not saying this is the case, but there are some similarities...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictator

No comments: