Monday, July 24, 2006

Science addiction - Geek Activism


Ok, this may be my last post before heading to the airport later today. I may or may not be posting while on vacation. I'm going to TRY to break free from my addiction to my computer, no email, no web surfing, no make magazine, no boingboing... shudder. We'll see :) I may start back up blogging on Sunday July 30th. Bon Voyage.

95 Theses of Geek Activism:
This looks like an intersting read...
http://www.scienceaddiction.com/2006/07/23/95-theses-of-geek-activism/
A few that jumped out at me:
1) Reclaim the term ‘hacker’. If you tinker with electronics, you are a hacker. If you use things in more ways than intended by the manufacturer, you are a hacker. If you build things out of strange, unexpected parts, you are a hacker. Reclaim the term.
4) Keep in touch with everyone you can vote for and make sure you know where they stand on the issues you care about.
23) Some corporations may seem to be on your side, but are not.
57) ID cards do not make us more secure.

Read them all.

On a related note: I predict, in fact wouldn't it be cool if this one small comment would lead to it all? That there will be a Third Party of Politics in the upcoming future. Call it what you will, but in essence... The Geek Party - or probably more marketable "The Tech Party"...
I believe that with the advances of email, internet, blogs, social websites, etc... That eventually the "citizens" of the internet will start to form a new political party. We will eventually realize what a great tool we have to communicate and organize and that we don't have to use these tools for the exisitng 2 party system. Elections can be held on Open Source machines and software, polls, e-roots campaigns, etc...
Let the E-Revolution begin :)

No comments: