Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog action day

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

Well, I've waited til the last moment to decide if I wanted to do this or not. I admire the idea behind it, but I'm torn as to their motivations. I also am feeling frustrated at the moment about the environment. I wonder if something as corny as posting this post on my blog will make any bit of difference in the environment.

But, in the off chance that it will in some small way make some sort of difference, I'll post here anyway.

CFL's...
I've been having a lot of difficulty trying to figure out what to do with a CFL that recently burned out at my office. I'm not supposed to just trash it because it has tiny amounts of mercury in it. But I've had to jump through several hoops to figure out how to properly dispose of it. I've narrowed it down to two choices. I can get in my car, and drive about 40 minutes (one way) to drop it off at my county hazardous waste site. I've also been told (via an eco-newsletter that my mom just signed up for) that IKEA will take old CFLs. I still need to look into this, do ALL Ikea's take the bulbs back? Do they have to be Ikea brand CFLs? Either way, I wish it were a much easier process to get rid of this thing.

My only other environment advice for this is simply two links:
http://treehugger.com/ - I really like this site and it's designed so nice too.
and this one...
http://www.terrapass.com/ - But I have to be honest here too... I have not signed up for it myself. Again, I don't trust the company, and am not sure on how I feel about just spending money to alleviate the "guilt" of driving a car.

I wish I could be more optimistic about this but it just caught me in a bad mood I guess. :)

No comments: