Friday, October 12, 2007

Renoir


Just a quick follow up... I got back from seeing the Renoir Landscape exhibit a little while ago. I really enjoyed his paintings. Not all of them of course, but most of them. I also enjoyed seeing the exhibit with my mom too :)
I have to admit, I no next to nothing about Renoir (wikipedia). I've never been into the "classics" (art and books included). I think it's the whole "authority" thing :) But I gotta say, his paintings are really great. I also feel strange in how I'm being introduced to Renoir... He's mostly known for his incredible portrait work, yet my first introduction to him was of his landscape paintings. I think that's pretty cool.
At one point in the gallery, I thought "I'm here viewing one of the "MASTERS" of painting! - How lucky am I!" I wish everyone could say the same thing.
There was one awkward moment too... I guess since we went on a Friday afternoon, I would say most of the crowd was in their retirement age. So that was the first thing I noticed about the people around us... then I noticed the second thing... ALL of the people in the room were white, and ALL of the guards they had standing at each corner of the rooms were black. I don't know why that made me feel awkward, but it did. I did see some black people upon us entering so I know they were there, but there was just this one moment where it was really obvious. I felt like going up to the guard and asking him why? (like he would know).
Back to the paintings...
It was really cool to see his paintings close up. His style was very "impressionistic" kinda like Monet (turns out Monet and Renoir painted together). Lots of little tiny brush strokes, and daubs of paint when you look at it close. But when you back away from the painting it takes on a whole other look.
I really liked Renoir's choice of colors too. He used a lot of blues to paint his shadows which struck me.
The photo I posted above is one I found online, and it was one of the paintings I saw in the show, so that's cool.
If you happen to be anywhere near Philadelphia, I would recommend seeing his paintings.


No comments: