Sunday, July 29, 2007

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix



Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix... I really enjoyed this movie (imdb link). There were parts that I really liked, and a few things that kinda bothered me, but overall I enjoyed the movie. I really think the new director David Yates, was the key to me liking this movie. The previous movies had a certain "sillyness" about them. I tried not to hold that against the film, because I tried to remind myself this is based on a book for kids. But it always seemed like they spent just too much time on the smelly candy, and burping plants. This movie I felt had a stronger base in telling a story. I think the Characters were a little more developed as well (I did not like how some characters just appeared on screen with no explanation though). On a technical note, I did not like how some of the scenes were edited - too choppy. There was one glaring edit towards the end of the movie. One minute Harry's in his room, the next he's talking to Dumbledore, the next he appears to be walking down the steps from his room - the Dumbledore scene was just thrown in as an afterthought. But again... I really liked the story, and the effects. It seemed to be a little more grown-up movie as well, perhaps because the characters are now growing up. It's interesting during some of the flashback scenes to see how much these kids have grown up.
I'm really looking forward to the next film. I hope they will continue with David Yates (I should have looked it up before... yes, Yates is on for the next HP movie in pre-production now).

No comments: