Thursday, July 26, 2007

Vindication is sweet!

This little news item caught my attention today...
Ever since I was a wee little lad, I hated that dreaded piece of clothing called a "tie". My parents used to make me wear them for "important" occasions (Like Church, or the first day of school!). I was able to get a "compromise" by being allowed to wear a clip on, but even those annoyed me, because usually that little tab of plastic would jab right into my adam's apple. Then, at a certain age, clip-ons become "uncool". Well, a few days ago I saw a news article about how NOT wearing ties could help global warming! Turns out, a tie restricts your blood flow, which in turn makes a person feel hot (I think I said that when I was a kid!), therefore if businesses said "no ties" then in theory, they could lower their air conditioning by a few degrees. Ok, I agree a bit of a stretch.
But then today, I see this article about how the Privacy Chief of Google is all for banning ties too. Their reason is that it restricts blood flow to the brain, therefore you are not thinking to the best of your ability. Yeah, that and because your constantly thinking about how uncomfortable they are!
So, it got me to thinking... I wonder how my life would have been different if ties were a part of fashion that were shunned by church goers and business peoples. Part of the reasons that I don't like going to church is because I have to get dressed up, and part of the reason I don't like corporate jobs is the same. Perhaps I would have been a world class corporate preacher? :)
Spread the word... NO TIES!
(Disclaimer: I have been on the look-out for a skinny tie. Those I like, they're cool, even though they are still uncomfortable).

No comments: