Thursday, September 13, 2007

Debt is stupid...

I'm certainly not in a position to give anyone money advice. I manage to pay my bills and over the past few years, I've been able to save more than I've ever had. BUT... one of the best decisions I've ever made was to make a concious effort to get out of credit card debt. I was driving a 13 year old pick-up truck (which I LOVED) but it was falling apart. I knew that sometime in the future I'd have to get a new vehicle. So, I made a real effort to stop buying 'toys' and really pay down my debt. In a few years, I cleared all my credit card debt, and (knock on wood) have never gone back in debt since. I've even managed to turn my little bit of savings into actually making money in interest for me. Granted, not a lot, but it's nice to get "free money"!
So, all of that just to say, I found this great post over on the Consumerist.com.
It talks about some guy who is giving a video presentation, but I just read through the "talking points". I struggle on about a weekly basis to NOT go into debt, so its nice to get a reminder like this every so often.
Check it out here...
My favorite... "According to Larry Burkett (?), we spend the first 5-7 years of our marriage trying to reach the same standard of livings as our parents, only problem being that it took them 35 years to do it."

No comments: