Thursday, September 13, 2007

More peace officer brutality...



Just so you know, I'm not out actively searching for police brutality videos on the web. I frequent some of the same websites everyday, and these things keep popping up. I'm not sure why I feel the need to re-post them on my blog, other than to say THIS is why people should always be wary of authority. I always here the comment "well, if you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to be afraid of"... people never stop to think that there may be a handful of peace officers who are abusing the system and or corrupt. This video shows again, how a peaceful situation can quickly go awry. The police did make it clear they wanted the Reverend to leave the line. They did not make it clear as to why? Must a citizen always do what a peace officer says no matter what? No questions asked? I think the answer is becoming clear... yes. Which is scary to me.
I will say that some of the reporting here seems a little off. They say the officers "football tackled" him "without warning".... I don't think that's a fair comment. The Rev. is being ushered out of line (they apparently had their hands upon him, so I don't know if that's considered force?). Then the Rev. Clearly "reacts" by pulling away suddenly. Well, that's the trigger the police officers are waiting for. At this point, they dog pile on him, and proceed to break his leg! The situation was clearly mis-handled. 8 guys men piling on top of another man is not necessary. I often wonder how the words "innocent until proven guilty" relate to a person being arrested. It really seems like force is used way too quickly now.
Obviously, ALL police officers are not like this. I know some who are very nice people, just trying to do their job (which is difficult). But I think there is a real lack of training officers how to handle a situation before it has to turn violent. Be polite. Be respectful. Explain the consequences of what happens if a person does not follow their orders ie: Get on the ground, or we will tackle you with 8 people.
Ok, enough of my blathering. There are a series of links to post here...
Original post on boingboing.
Link to post on alternet.org that shows the original footage of the event.
Link to blog with an update on the Reverend's condition.
Link to youtube video of a press conference by the Reverend Lennox Yearwood.


No comments: